02 November 2022

October Hobby Roundup: Heresy, Turnips and Roses

October saw another swathe of work travel, but a little bit more time at home and some actual gaming! The Horus Heresy has Reilly and I deeply immersed in the fluff and fun - the narrative gaming we are doing with club mates Marty and and Lachie is a real hoot. Here are my World Eater lads in action

The boys, eager for battle!

Turns out that clumping up like this attracts plasma like mosquitoes...

Rapier fire support



The only survivor of my Army! Kharn went on the survive 2 rounds of hand to hand combat with a Dreadnought and swagger away!

I'm working on some reinforcements...

Over the month more Turnip28 folks were constructed, so yes that madness continues...

I really like this pose, which comes from a Perry Afghan tribesman
Skirmishy type chaps with fancy longarms

Close combat Brutes in kilts!

And finally, an update for my War of the Roses Lancastrians, though I have another 70 or so figs built and ready for attention in the upcoming AHPC to join them.  I'm going to add some more character figures in livery, and then need to start considering their Yorkist adversaries.


I went initially with the 3-2-1 basing for the majority of foot troops to suit Lion Rampant but this army continues to...grow to a size that is probably beyond the scope of those rules.  I'm looking forward to Deluxe Never Mind the Billhooks being released soon, but I'll need to do some mixed Bill and Bow units which don't appear in Rampant.


I'll need to look farther afield if this develops into a larger project (like it hasn't already...) - thinking of Sword and Spear, or Clash of Spears. Would be convenient to have a common set of rules with my Roman Civil Wars project.

Be well!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, Ian from This 28mm Life blog. I've seen you WotR's stuff on one (or two) of the facebook pages. They look great. I'm currently painting up a Percy retinue to add to my Lancastrians. I like your pulp stuff too. Check out the Eureka cultists. I sculpted some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian! I haven't played with my Pulp stuff for awhile but it is such a fun little genre filled with character. Would love to chat more with you re WotR - my email is pauljamesog(at)that gmail place

      Delete
  2. Hey mate, nice update this month.
    Your World Eaters look great, particularly as I'm about to start my own force of the nutters led by Kharn (what a guy!).

    "then need to start considering their Yorkist adversaries" as a Yorkshireman I have to say that they are not the 'adversaries' but the proper protagonists 😉

    Stuffs looking good and it's always impressive with everything massed together like that.
    One of the house rules I've seen for Rampant games at a larger scale is to double the number of models in the unit and count each section as a "base".
    So you'd have 24 models in your unit and remove 2 for each unsaved wound.
    One of the guys on the Dragon Rampant Facebook group did it with old WFB regiments and had units of 48 Skeletons, and removed 4 each time they took a wound!

    Food for thought incase you don't find a ruleset you like elsewhere (mentioning because I love the Rampant series of rules).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and the comments mate. We love the Rampant rules at my club too - the simplicity of the tactical system enables all sorts of fun scenarios and bolt on mechanics (like turncoats and traitors!).

      PS As someone who has sailed for a year in the destroyer HMS York I have personally served under the white rose. Literally- the emblem was displayed on the ship's funnel :-)

      Delete
    2. Served under a proper Rose then 😉

      Delete
  3. Great looking chaos types, lovely war of the Roses troops, I'm considering expanding my forces at the moment, I find turnip entertaining( really like your Afghan one) but I don't think I'll join in just yet!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain! Come embrace the Turnip madness with us :-)

      Delete