30 December 2022

2022 Reflections

2023 comes to a close, so its time to review the year and what I achieved in hobby terms. Despite quite a lot of work travel, including 3 months away visiting in Japan, USA and Canada and well as another few months at sea, its been a quieter but very satisfying year.  As ever the Analogue Painting Challenge was a highlight, starting with Season 12 and Season 13 now underway.

Convention wise I missed most of them, but the Lad did have his debut Bolt Action tourney at Wintercon, coming a most impressive 5th of 23 participants with his 101st Airborne army that he painted this year (https://tasmancave.blogspot.com/2022/08/the-101st-airborne-drop-into-wintercon.html). 


I did manage to get to MOAB though, but seem not to have blogged about it for some reason - really enjoyed it though, and here is a pic of a long overdue catchup with Nic from Eureka Miniatures



Game wise Reilly and I have dug about skirmish level games with Warcry and Kill Team with great success. The release of new new Horus Heresy also got us into a tizz and we have enjoyed a number of 2 and 4 player games of that - we really like the system and the great narrative behind it.

I enjoyed making this chunky lad for my World Eaters force

Other highlights included



2022: the year I discovered Turnip28, to the dismay of all my associates

Battlegroup Stalingrad fighting in the multi-level Apartment complex I made this year

Playing DungeonBowl in the local GW store and having our teams put on display!





Plus:

The Lad turned 21 this year



Expanding and finally using myWar of the Roses Army!

Back to my lists of hobby aims and objectives...did I do them all? no. Did I get distracted? An inevitable yes. Did I have fun along the way? You bet, so thats a win overall!

On the reading front I finished my 10th consecutive Goodreads reading challenge, something I started with my daughter while deployed at sea and have continued ever since.


Finally, while I don't usually mix work and hobby, visiting a USN Carrier at sea and then ride in the back of a Super Hornet this year were rather awesome highlights too :-)


May 2023 bring you all health and hobby happiness aplenty!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, what a year. And, a ride in the Hornet too! Giving Tom Cruise a run for his money. Love it. Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great wrap-up and review Paul. All the best in the New Year...and yeah, that Super Hornet ride must've been a blast. I could only imagine the push off from the carrier, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding year, sir! Looking forward to 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The contrast between your Hornet flight and the gelatinous mud about your Turnip wars figures is hard to measure. Happy New Year
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete