17 January 2023

AHPC XIII: War of the Roses Mercenaries

Last Challenge I started a War of the Roses project which has progressed steadily this year, and I wanted to add to it this challenge with something different - European Mercenaries.


Sell sords from the content were features on all sides of the war, and while the Burgundian support to the Yorkists pretenders is the best known, a raft of independent companies from Flanders, France and elsewhere were engaged.


I've done mine up in bright livery to reflect their more flamboyant nature, and because that how I see those 'proto-landschnekts': advertising on the battlefield for future employers, as well as warning others of their prowess as a deterrent. Plus the bright colours pop nicely on my winter bases. While my rules usually have figure removal, pike units like these look so much better packed tighter so I went with 3 group bases for each unit

Unit unit has a secret weapon - a crossbow bolt to the face!

The flags are all hand painted naturally, using tin foil from the necks of champagne bottles. Yes collecting the raw materials is a drag but somebody has to do it (and who doesnt like a round of French 75s?!). The foil allows great three dimensional shaping and has some good strength to it. With the flamboyant theme in mind, I gave all their weapons pennants so no one would miss them on the field of battle!


Thats as much of a mini War of the Roses bomb that you'll see from me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment