05 June 2011

Saxon Church - Finished!

After some serious attention, I finally got my Saxon Church completed for our game today (Battle Report to follow), and all modesty aside I'm pretty stoked with it actually. Overall, it was much more work than I had originally envisaged, but its come out exactly how I wanted it with some internal detailing yet to follow.


This one is a little blurry - sorry, but you get the idea of the entrance
and a comparison with the orignal spec for the model
I had seriously been thinking of doing some stained glass windows like the inspiring one at Paul's Bods here, but in the end decided to leave it as is with stained glass and lead light still being more suitable for a stone medieval church rather than a Dark Age wattle and daub construction.

Thanks for all the positive and encouraging comments as I tacked this project - it certainly helped me keep my motivation up - cheers!

WIP posts:
Part 3 here: http://tasmancave.blogspot.com/2011/05/saxon-church-wip-3.html
Part 2 here: http://tasmancave.blogspot.com/2011/05/saxon-church-wip-2.html
Part 1 here: http://tasmancave.blogspot.com/2011/05/saxon-church-wip-1.html

22 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a really nicely done terrain piece and will certainly serve as a great tabletop center piece.

    I really like how the thatched roof came out.

    Very well done!
    Miles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic, excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely awesome Paul. I love it. Now I am going to have to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is a very impressive final product. To say Im a bit jealous would be an understatment. :) Looking forward to the battle report I just hope that after all the hard work you put into it the Northmen dont burn it down :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely inspired mate!

    Once I finish my Moderns Project I will move onto some Vikings :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks brilliant, top job. Bring on the vikings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paul,

    Simply stunning! Very well done old chap - I hope the bout of man flu did not hamper progress too much!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Man that's very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great ! the thatched roof in particular is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks fantastic! Great work Mr Cave!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really beautiful work, you should be quite rightly chuffed with yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice! Love the roofing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. very nice! the thatching really makes it. nice festival day extras around the building too. very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's an excellent piece of work, stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well impressed. Very nice 'feel' to it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bloody lovely mate...makes mine look dull in comparison. The festival is a good idea.like an opening day. You could still go for some stained glass..it´s more than likely they would have had it in such a prestigious building as a church. go on ..I dare you ;-D
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  17. superb work!

    must build myself one of those!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely church, well done

    -- Allan (tidders)

    ReplyDelete