A winning combination - if you are in Canberra go check it out.
|They even had German Ale on tap for Oktoberfest - nice!|
A couple of perspectives from our game:
- Think of it like good cinema with Hollywood action and a climatic ending
- Adding your own Commando Comic style quotes along the way adds a lot to the theme ("Mein Gott", "Take that Fritz" etc)
- That aside, its quite a deep game with many many decision points and card resource management on top.
- Unlike most games, the majority of your units wont be firing their weapons very often. Some wont fire a round for the whole game. This is probably far more realistic than units burning though all their ammo in a half dozen turns or less.
- I liked the balanced, combined arms ORBAT approach
- It feels like a miniatures game
- Its what I wanted ASL to be, but its also fun (which ASL is generally not, IMHO) with a little bit of crazy added. This game inspires you to engage an enemy Sniper with a Bazooka team and then send in a hero to bayonet whats left. Well it did to me anyway (and whats more it worked!)
|How we laughed when James' Handgranaten attack scattered onto another of his infantry squads!|
|..and how much more we laughed when that squad then fumbled their own handgranaten attack onto their own location!|