18 August 2026

Russian Command Figures

Having completed massed infantry and the first of my cavalry figures, I was felt like painting something different: Command and Staff for my Russian army, led by Baron Osten-Sacken.

Count Dmitry Yerofeyevich Osten-Sacken (1789–1881) was a highly decorated Russian General of Baltic Prussian and Russian descent. He began his army career in 1809 with the Elisavetgrad Hussar Regiment and went on to have a distinguished military career that spanned 50 years and 15 campaigns. He is most celebrated for commanding the defence of Odessa and Sevastopol during the Crimean War.

Based on a contemporary picture, in the uniform of a cavalry General-Adjutant
source: Osprey 241 Russian Army of the Crimean War

The Baron himself is a very detailed sculpt, particularly with his collections of medals and awards, and I spent quite a bit of time picking them out to get the right gravitas.

The mounted staff officers are from a different blister, but match well

"Thats odd. I wonder what that British Light Brigade is up to..."

I kept the individual staff officers and aide-de-camp in the bright Uhlan uniform (he was fun to do!) on seperate bases to maintain flexibility on the table (like using them as ADC markers for the General d'Armee rules). I did their uniforms differently to reflect different regimental backgrounds and show the diversity of the Russian uniforms when not lathered in greatcoats!

Once again these are metal figures by Great War Miniatures from the following packs:

Modeling notes:  I previously kept the greens on the infantry a few shades lighter to get the right effect, but deliberately didn't with these officers. Not only did I want them to stand out, but contemporary notes detail how fashion shifted Officers' green uniforms to an almost black-green by this time. The Coatee colour is GW Caliban Green over a dark grey undercoat.

No comments:

Post a Comment