10 March 2024

Legion: Life in the Roman army

Last weekend during a fleeting visit through London, I got to attend this excellent special exhibition at the British Museum. Even better, I got to do so with my friends Ashley (of Paint it Pink blog fame https://panther6actual.blogspot.com/) and Susan.

I really enjoyed the very impressive collection, probably enhanced by my recent Caesarian Army project!


This did give me a quick fright; the saddle horns are bronze, which is not what I painted my recent cavalry. I was bemoaning this (and the inevitable repainting I would need to do) to Ashley when we read that they were originally leather covered - phew!





And this is the only surviving example of a scutum - rather remarkable ghiven how many must have been made.
Details of the paintwork




This was interesting - now I need to find a 28mm version! 



Cataphract armour



Give me back my Legions Varus!


With a lovely lunch to replenish afterwards, and a spot of shopping at Orc's Nest to procure a few treasures, it was a really nice day. And yet, despite all the pics I took of of antiquities we didnt get a pic of us together!

Thanks ladies for a great day out!

12 comments:

  1. Great company, a great exhibition and a chance to shop for the hobby - what's not to like. This was an exhibition I would have liked to see for myself but you have allowed me to have a virtual look round, so many thanks.
    Stephen
    p.s if you do go wrestling with crocodiles, and survive, do share the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is but a paltry capture of the many great items on exhibit!
      Saltwater Crocodiles no, Alligators are a bit softer though... :-)

      Delete
  2. It’s on my list of things to get to this year , and I don’t even do spear chucking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you can repaint his nibs saddlehorn brass? Just so he can one up the r&f troopers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Darryl! A General does have to look smart in front of the men, right?

      Delete
  4. Nice looking exhibition Paul. I live within the boundaries of a former Legion camp, and we have a local museum which just opened an exhibit with a similar theme, although I doubt they managed to acquire so many objects for their display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt you are right, but a collection of artefacts that were found locally would be rather special also!

      Delete
  5. Damn, so there was something we forgot. Doh! Anyway, as you said, great day out, with good food, and conversation.

    Now, as regards the croc armour, some Green stuff applied to an appropriate figure would make for a great little conversion, assuming you're up for the sculpting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there is a challenge I'm going to have to attempt at some point!
      Thanks again for a great day Ashley :-)

      Delete
    2. I look forward to seeing the model when it is done.

      Delete
  6. User had a wonderful time at the 'Legion: Life in the Roman army' exhibition at the British Museum in London, especially enjoying the impressive collection and finding the details about the saddle horns and scutum fascinating. It's great to hear that the exhibition tied in nicely with her recent Caesarian Army project. The hunt for a 28mm version of the cataphract armor sounds like an exciting next step!

    ReplyDelete