19 October 2019

Making a Wargames mat

I wasn't happy with my array of gaming mats for use with Mortal Gods - they are all too woody, green and more like Northern Europe.  So I decided to experiment and try making my own. The parameters were to be: looks Mediterranean and is easily portable for use on club nights.
The finished product - WIP pics below
I went with a 3 x 4 size, using a cotton based material as a base which was pinned into place with drawing pins (to stop curling) with a few feet extra on each side.  The first step was to make the base layer using caulk which I scraped thinly (with a strip of mdf) across the whole surface. Once this was done a few small patches of gravel were made, as was a small track sized road from one side to the other - I used some ballast as the road surface and some kitty litter along the edges. These were all pressed into the soft caulk and left to dry overnight.

I chose a dark coffee coloured caulk to use, so it would be a good base colour
The next day another, thinner, layer of caulk was applied - as it dried and got tacky, I applied a range of cloths and material to try and raise areas and provide a rough surface that would be suitable for drybrushing. In this way I would avoid having to use sand or other materials which are both abrasive to figures and which are prone to falling off when the mat is rolled.  Once dry, I started drybrushing and mat began to take shape.

First drybrushing layer was a Tamiya Earth colour, followed by lighter cremes

After three layers of deliberately uneven drybrushing

Detail of the road
After giving the paint an hour to dry I began flocking, initially using yellow, light green and brown and a little bit of clump foliage


In going for a drier climate look, the darker/green colours are at the centre, surrounded by the lighter patches where the vegetation is struggling.

Trying out with some olive trees




The mat was then left for a week to thoroughly dry (I was travelling interstate), slightly lightening in colour as it did.  I then did another layer of drybrushing, including a little over the patches of flock to help blend them in.  I then started adding some Woodlands light green and medium green coarse turf in a blended fashion.  This added in additional texture, as well as helping avoid a spotty look by adding clumps in the areas between large flock patches.

I also applied a thinned out brown artists ink along the road edge to define it better.


With the turf laid down, two light layers of watered down PVA were applied with a spray gun to help seal them in place.

Of course, all Greek themed boards look better with a temple and some Spartans in position (not mine though, unfortunately!)



It was now trimmed down to size using a stanley knife and a long straight edge, and I did some final drybrushing to the road surface and rock edges - ready for battle!
Picking out the road edge and the odd rock in white on the mat really made it pop

Along to road to Corinth...
I'm very happy with the outcome and I picked up some good techniques during this project. Thanks to club mates Mac and Gav for their invaluable assistance and advice along the way (and more than a few of the materials Gav - cheers mate).  Overall materiel costs were similar to buying a commercial product, but I think I have achieved a better outcome and enjoyed myself along the way.

25 comments:

  1. Very good tutorial and result, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just looks amazing Paul, really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking mat,I need to do one for the Mediterranean,does yours roll up without losing too much material?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. The caulk is very flexible so it rolls well, and not using sand will help longevity.
      Only losses thus far have been small clumps of flock, easily replaced (but usually not even noticeable)

      Delete
  4. Looking great Paul! Makes me want to make one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve. Like home renovations, its all about a bit of confidence and willing to try something new. Costs a bit less though!

      Delete
  5. Great stuff Paul, and very useful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful bit of work, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smashing stuff mate. There's a project for my week off coming up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out mate!

      Delete
  8. Good job Paul it looks the business. I wasn't brave enough to put any paths or tracks on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate - it adds a lot to it I think.
      Next time I'll have a better plan on the layout so I can add more complexity or space for a hill or other feature

      Delete
  9. Wow, that’s a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks superb! Perfect for the Mediterranean setting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great and I am keen to try it out. Particularly since I may have picked up a copy of MG today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I look forward to your table debut Strategos!

      Delete
  12. Impressive, and thank you for the step-by-step detail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicely done. It looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete