22 January 2017

Painting Challenge Week 5 Submissions

(whoops) I did did it again; got suckered into enjoying every bit of detail and going to town on the basing.  Not good from a productivity basis, but I’m quite pleased with the end products.

Anti Tank Gun
First up is a Brit 6 pdr Anti Tank gun for my Paras, and I can use one of the jeeps I finished last week to tow it around the table.  It doesn’t have the best AT effect (the heavier 17pr was far more successful and famously fitted to the Sherman Firefly and Achilles - the up gunned M10 Tank destroyer) but is more mobile to give my Paras some much needed anti armour capability.



As a former Gunner Officer I happily went to town with the basing, carving out wheel hollows in the mdf base and burying the trail spades into the dirt…and then lost most of the effect by excitedly adding all the tufts and shrubbery :-) Overall though I’m pleased with the dioramic style effect and hope it helps them on the tabletop! Figs and gun by Warlord.



Woodland Indians 2
Next are another half dozen Mohawk warriors to take the field with my FiW Brits.  Added to my previous Woodland Indians in week 2 (see here), these round out a tribal unit of a dozen for use with Sharpe Practice 2. 


Looking forward to having them scalp some of Alan's pesky coureur de bois in their inaugural table top game soon! Figs by Warlord which mix well with my Northstar sculpts.  I like the mix they have of traditional weapons, not just all Muskets and Tomahawks - you know, that would be a great name for a game...
These earned me 60 points (including 5 kind bonus points for the gun basing details and Indian warpaint) and my progress remains on track:

Which keeps me hovering around 30th place or so, not that it matters whatsoever - its a personal challenge.  In comparison to my previous AHPC efforts, I am doing well thus far; Now to keep up the rate of effort!



14 comments:

  1. Looking good mate. I especially like the basing on the 6pdr. Well worth the effort. We're going to lose some time next weekend so it's great to be ahead of the game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate - yes we are, but its well worth the time investment I think :-)

      Delete
  2. The bases on both of these are fantastic, I particularly enjoyed the photograph of the Indians in the grass. Sounds like it's going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent job, love the gun base and the facial paints on the Indians especially...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent minis - especially the Native Americans! Of course, your spreadsheet skills are the most admirable item of the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles - just imitating the best you know!

      Delete
  5. My word you are on fire this year Paul, lovely work Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise coming from you Michael, but yes I do feel like I'm having a productive Challenge this year - its greatly helped having figures to paint for games we want to play at the club, and a number of other participants there egging each other on :-)

      Delete
  6. Great stuff. The Injuns are really cool. cheers

    ReplyDelete