27 March 2015

Unreasonable distractions

Awesomely, this is one of our textbooks
There are very real perils in undertaking the fascinating Strategy and Policy course of study I am doing at the moment.  Each week we study a new war in depth, analysing the strategies of different sides, diplomatic and economic factors, operational conduct and so on.  Clearly this has a reading burden associated with it, but its also a burden to the gamer in that every week something shiny comes along!  One week I want to refight the Pelopennesian War between Athens and Sparta, the next week it is the French Indian Wars, then the Napoleonic era... you can see the problem!  Really quite unfair to the wargamer's typically undisciplined mind.

This week really threatened to make me crumble as we revisited the German Wars of Unification, reactivating my desire to game the FPW which I have mostly held a lid on since the early 1990s.  I almost fell off the wagon for Baccus's lovely 6mm range last year, so I just have to close my eyes and think about all the other projects I have in train or planned.  Like my 6mm ECW project.  Of course, if somebody wanted to jump in (I'm thinking of you 'Bish) I might have to change my mind yet again..

And before anyone says it: yes, its great to have such a dilemma!

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting course! But I see your problem...it's hard enough as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter is focusing his mind control ray on you "you will buy my FPW figures" ;)

    You see, Paul, reading and learning is bad for you. It makes you want to do things and spend money :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a very good mind control ray it is too - he made you buy all those ACW figs and I was forced to buy 4 ECW armies!

      Delete
  3. Given what the majority of us put up with for our day jobs you're not going to get much sympathy you lucky b@stard. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hardly unreasonable! A passion for history and a passion for gaming almost kind of go hand in hand - like you can't have one without the other. I say indulge it and start a new project or 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was only 2 thats wouldn't be so bad really... :-)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a very interesting course if you have to read this type of stuff.

    ReplyDelete