20 August 2017

Wrecked House terrain

A few months back Warlord held their annual sprue sale so I grabbed a few thing, amongst them this wrecked house.  I am slowly building up my urban terrain collection for some Arnhem/Fall of the Reich styled tables, and this will join the ruined walls and rubble that I did last year (see here)



I really enjoyed building this and followed the paint scheme on the cover to keep it brighter than my typical dull black and grey ruin.  As usual, I faced my dilemma of compromising diorama detail for wargaming utility: I don't want a clean ruin, but too much detail and detritus and the figs don't fit properly during a game.  The balance is one of personal preference of course.

Note that this kit is actually a repackaged 1/72 scale Italeri kit so it will be out of proportion to your 28mm figs.  That said, I think it works well without taking up too much space on the table and for 8 pounds for the sprue its great value.
Overall a good outcome and useful as a fortified house to hold a section of infantry or a field HQ.  I'll be looking to get another of these in next years sprue sale and build it a bit differently.
The Warlord Kit in the box, but you'll get it much cheaper waiting for the next sprue sale
https://store.warlordgames.com/products/wrecked-house

11 comments:

  1. You can also try to find the kits in the Italeri packaging which makes them much cheaper. I ordered this in the spure sale along with the bridge but they ran out of bridge stock. Got the Stone Walls and Anti Tank obstacles in their Italeri packaging from a local model store at like 40% less than the Warlord base price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion - I hadn't considered that!

      I got the bridge too, but dont like the way it came out so am going to repaint it

      Delete
  2. I hadn't twigged it was 1/72 until I read the piece, certainly works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not going to fit a 10-12 man full squad in it but for a small squad or team fits fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will make a great spot for a Platoon HQ or MMG team I think

      Delete
  4. I too wouldn't have pegged it as 1/72 (maybe the stairs?)- it looks great. I like the sandbagged windows.

    ReplyDelete