Fantasy

09 September 2026

Metal Dragon Ogres Project

A few years ago (alright, it seems it was five...) I made myself a wonderfully indulgent big unit of old metal GW Minotaurs that were super fun to paint up:

https://tasmancave.blogspot.com/2021/03/ahpc-xi-snarl-of-minotaurs.html

Known as the "Minobus" it could be brutally effective when pumped up with magic effects, and I had a few memorable games with them (including this one) before they were laid to one side in the name of sportsmanship.

Anyway, its now time to make another such indulgent unit, enabled by a surprise find at a local players' bring and buy held on Father's Day: metal GW Dragon Ogres from the late 90s.


Now I already have 3 of these, plus the Shoggoth Character, and maximum units size is 9; so I was thinking I could now field 2 units each of 6 figures. That's rather terrifying!

Here is their entry in the Citadel Miniatures' 2000 Annual - looks like I have all the combinations. The cool spiked mace I have doesn't appear to be one of the original weapon options though so it must be a conversion.

Michael Perry figures no less!

Originally in WHFB these were on much much smaller square bases, but now in Old World they are on larger 50x75mm bases more suited to their length. Those are now on their way via EvilBay.

I'll get them stripped and prepped now but they may have to be a Christmas project - can't wait!

-----------

A little bit of inspiration for me to come back to later:




The model-painting workflow is:

Hyrex Brown undercoat → green skin → flesh → green shading/highlights → flesh highlights/wash → metals → leather → bone → scales → gold/brass → red plumes → final bone/eye highlights → leather highlights → base drybrush.

Paints used, in order

#PaintWhat it was used onStage
1Colour Forge Hyrex BrownEntire models, including the baseWarm brown basecoat/undercoat
2Yellow Green – DarkLower half of the Dragon Ogres: legs/body sectionsGreen skin basecoat
3Yellow Green – StandardLower green skinSecond green layer
4Yellow Green – BrightLower green skinInitial/highlight layer
5Shadow FleshHuman/flesh areas: face, chest, arms, belly and inner/sides of bodyFlesh basecoat
6Dark Warm FleshSame flesh areasFirst flesh layer/highlight
7Aonian Camo ShadeGreen lower body/skinDark green shading/lowlights
8Yellow Green – BrightGreen skinFinal bright green highlights
9Darkest FleshFlesh areasFlesh highlight
10Warm FleshFlesh areasFurther flesh highlight
11Wraith Flesh Shade (transcription uncertain)Flesh areasWash/shade over the flesh
12LeadbelcherMetal: armour, weapons and other metal componentsMetallic basecoat
13Dark UmberLeather straps and other leather partsLeather basecoat
14Black washLeather and metal; also used later to tidy areas around horns/metalShading
15Sandy DustTeeth, horns, claws and back spikes — all bone-coloured areasBone basecoat
16Green (specific colour not stated)Individual scales, including scales on the backScale colour
17Screaming BellBrass/gold areas, specifically the Chaos Star/sword and associated gold/brass detailsMetallic basecoat
18Retributor ArmourSame brass/gold areasGold highlight
19Mournfang Bone Horns and other bone partsBone highlight
20Pale YellowHorns/bone highlights and pupils of the eyesFinal bone highlight + eyes
21Golden BrownLeather straps, including skirt/belt areasLeather highlight
22Bugman's GlowBases/sand textureDrybrush/highlight of basing

No comments:

Post a Comment